Reading # 2 Thursday Class

24 responses to “Reading # 2 Thursday Class”

1. I have learned that it is best to take the rules of design with a grain of salt. Every project is different and it is our job as designers to be flexible enough to create a composition that works. Even though these rules can be broken for creative purposes, it is good to keep some universal rules in mind when designing to ensure that the design holds. For instance, pairing serif type with sans serif type adds contrast to a design. A designer could even use the same typeface with different styles to create a sense of uniformity while also creating hierarchy.
    I found it useful for a designer to educate themselves about different typefaces, such as the time period in which a certain typeface was created. This allows the designer to have a rational as to why he/she utilized that typeface for a design.

2. I’ve learned that serif and sans-serif fonts almost always go together well. Visual hierarchy plays the role of putting the important stuff up front while also guiding how the reader reads the page. Visual hierarchy is usually done with 2 or 3 fonts and sizes. The most important words are usually the largest while the less important information is sized down. When text is small, it is better for it to be caps and have lots of kerning to be more legible. When using typography, sometimes you have to associate the type with the time period that the design is representing. It is good to have fonts that are noticeably different from one another but not too different or too similar. That’s where the true expertise come into play – knowing when it looks just right. Playful fonts don’t go too well with more sophisticated-looking fonts like Trade Gothic Bold. Contrast in font weight helps guide the reader’s eye around the design. It all comes down to practicing with all different aspects of type and seeing what works and what doesn’t.

3. After reading both articles I got a better understanding at how to combine different fonts together and being able to make them work strongly with one another. I really liked the emphasis in the Canva article that shows how font can describe the feeling of certain words such as spicy, hot or sweet and that a font can depict those words so strongly. I like how there were many tips on how to use multiple fonts together, but ultimately your eye should catch what looks best or does not work – I find this to be true. If you are a good typographer or designer you should be able to combine different things to work well together without necessarily having to follow a guideline.

4. Mixing typefaces is an art, not a science just like the articles stated. Mixing and combining typefaces usually trickles down to judgement and how the designer feels the typefaces work with the design. Some tips already come naturally, such as not mixing two distinct fonts together, and avoiding fonts that are too similar. Being able to combine type together in a harmonious way comes with practice- practicing mixing type can give the designer a sense of which typefaces work with one another. Although the designer’s judgement can instinctively help choose complementary typefaces, there are some tips and rules that can make combining fonts easier. Like the previous posts, it is common to mix distinct fonts with more neutral ones, as well as serif fonts with sans-serif fonts. Mixing can also be done with varying weights, styles, and point sizes. Overall, these tips in the articles and the designers judgement when mixing fonts is to increase readability because the viewer will not continue to read if the combination makes the text illegible.

5. After reading these articles I was able understand how to combine different typefaces. I always struggled with choosing the correct fonts or spacing between each letters or words. It’s absolutely crucial to choose the correct typeface based on their style, point sizes and weight because mixing certain typefaces won’t work. You also have to keep in mind it’s also important to establish a visual hierarchy by choosing a typeface that won’t clash against the secondary text. The typefaces must mesh well together. it’s also important to consider choosing a legible typeface especially for the context and make sure not combine many different typefaces.

6. What I have learned is that there is many typefaces you can use as art as well as better understand which typefaces to use based on what you are doing. It helped me better understand not to just use any typefaces out there. The typefaces must be complimenting each other, which will benefit any layout more efficiently. Kerning also plays a big role when choosing a typeface. This article has also taught me that the audience’s view on typeface is that they need to see the text, see if it legible if not they lose interest of the whole thing because they would not be able to see what is going on, it is crucial not to combine a lot of typefaces.

7. Throughout these articles, I learned some rules of different ways to combine different fonts. Like using different fonts for the headlines, sub-headlines, and body headlines. The font need to leading the reader to attract attention. And the size of the font is also important, so the title of the articles are usually bold and larger size than the body. The fonts’ style is need to be fit with the style of the article, and is better to use font from the ‘same family,’ and do not combine too many different font together. In the article, ‘Best Practices Of Combining Typefaces,’ the author pointed out that mixing the mood of typefaces can draw attention to the typography instead of the message. I learned that space between the words of the font is leading viewer’s attention, like too many space between lines or the space between letter.

8. I’m excited to read these two articles because I learn a lot of useful rules about how to create great typeface combinations. The rules are efficient, and I will use them in my next artworks. However, they’re a little hard for me to completely understand how to use now because I have questions, such as how to figure out which types of fonts are from the same family, and which fonts I should use for different cultural contexts. I need to learn more about the history of fonts and how they match the different cultures. I believe that I will know how to use these rules after learning more about the history and concerns of fonts. What’s more and the most important is practicing more as the article suggests.

9. I found it very interesting after reading both text

10. I can’t find Tuesday reading, so I posted mine in here.
    ———-After reading the two articles about how to combine fonts. And best practices of combining typefaces. I learned that it very important of how you want the viewer to see first and what must stand out to viewers. to see your work. Also they mentioned how we should make the context easier to read. It should not be something so messy. It must be clean and organized. It is also important to use font that is in the same family font. In addition it states how serif and San serifs tend to work pretty well, especially at contrasting sizes. And how they can display a better resolution in online and screen. “Simple is better “it is better to stick with two fonts because it will increase the readability.

11. There are a lot of things that we have to consider when using a typeface. For example, using the appropriate typeface for projects or design you are working on is very important. Also, when we combine two typefaces, we need to use the typeface that goes well together. From both articles, I learned that we need to avoid using typefaces of the same classification, from different typeface families. By using a similar classification of different font family can easily discord when combined together. But when using serif and san-serif or two different typefaces and have two different classifications create contrast, but they go well together, especially when you playing with the size of the text (one typeface is big and one small). Spacing, style, weight, and font size are very important when we design our project. Typography also plays a major role when we design projects, so it is very important to know what kind of font that fits and how to make them stand out and catches other people eyes.

12. Reading these articles, I learned that every font has an occasion to be used. The same way you would balance any other Design project with all its components, you should balance type along with it. If there are fonts that do not mesh well with others visually, your audience won’t like what they see, and the same goes with type that looks too similar. Everything regarding type affects its legibility so when you make something make sure that the types you use work with the project properly. Weight, size, and kerning are three very important things to consider. Learning what fonts look like with practice and what occasions they lean towards will definitely help me in future projects.

13. It was interesting to read these two articles and see how much theory is involved in typographic design. I can easily see myself having made one of the mistakes which they categorize as bad design. I think it is important to note that what they consider successful design is not what is most visually intriguing but what aids the text the most by promoting readability and not serving as a distraction. To do that they explain the importance of hierarchy but also knowing the personality of typefaces and how they react to each other when placed together on the page. Here I see why it is important to have a rich typographic vocabulary of x-height and glyph width so that you can go over in your mind why a pairing of typefaces either works or does not.

14. This article has taught that no two projects are exactly the same and as a designer I should be flexible when it come to composing the projects. This is especially true when it comes to type face combinations. For example, when using the same typeface with different styles it creates a sense of uniformity while also creating hierarchy.

15. This article has taught me that when I am designing something I can’t be so closed minded, I have to be more open to different ideas. This is especially true when it comes to combing typefaces. For example, by combing type faces the are similar but changing their style, it creates a hierarchy and a sense of consistency.

16. The two articles show us that we do have lots of rules when we want to combine different font. The different fonts will work for different purposes. Combining different size and weight of fonts can emphasize the messages.It’s better to use less fonts, the second article says “Keep It Simple — Try Just Two Typefaces”. When we use different typefaces, we need to consider how the two typefaces can work together. Different fonts will have different personality; mixing serifs and sans serifs will work out in some situation. The most important thing that I learned is that there is no quick way to get a good combination, we need practice of combining typefaces. We need to keep trying different combinations.

17. Both articles are very helpful on the understanding of combining type faces, they have clear and valid examples. For me the most important advice from the articles is to use sans and serif as our base for combinations. this means that by limiting our fonts and type faces choices we could build an understanding on how to state a hierarchy on the design that we intend to do, whereas the design is for an invitation, a website or a poster, the message has to be clear and consistent.

18. These articles were pretty interesting, I learned that you can’t just put any two type faces together and expect them to look unified. Putting any type faces together, without a thought, can create tension, or even let one type face showcase more than the other. I haven’t thought much about this concept until I saw examples of what type faces look like when in competition with one another. I thought the second article, about the ten golden rules were pretty interesting. That certain fonts, serifs, and sans serifs put together can show the appearance of child invitation, professional work, and being legible on a salsa bottle.

19. These articles have some good points that I could learned about, like the design style and the personality of fonts. I learned when you design a font to your design, font should have its own character toward what you have design, it might explores your emotion to your work and given a balance. Also, design a font, you might create different layers for fonts, and play around them or to make combination of two different types of typeface. I know that when one’s created a work, think about background that one’s want to created, then decided which typeface could be used. The true typeface that one’s used can truly explained the message, a clear message that want people to know about.

20. What I got from these articles were things that I already knew for the most part, but many of these things were expanded upon and clarified for me. For instance, one thing I knew going in was that typefaces should contrast, and that sans and sans serif are a good combination in most cases, but that if they are too different the design won’t work. They need to have some things in common, like an x height, but still need to maintain a clear visual difference. I learned that it is also of utmost importance to use appropriate typefaces, and to assign roles to specific typefaces of different weights to create visual hierarchy. What I’m getting is that visual contrast is necessary, but there must be order in hierarchy behind your decisions. Each typeface has to be thoughtfully chosen, and there shouldn’t be many typefaces at that.

21. These articles have shown me much of what I already know about, like how fonts (typefaces) have different personalities, and can convey a different message. On the other hand, these articles have also taught me some things I did not know. For example, different types of fonts can due the artwork justice. i.e. Slab Serif and Serif have a nice contract but will complement each other greatly. I also learned about x-heights, hierarchy, and the importance of a well thought out choice of typeface.

22. Mixing typefaces is not simple. It requires a lot of of attention and time. For example,if you were to create a poster and you want to mix two different types, you would need to make sure that both of typefaces are both comparable with each other. where you be able to a personality within the combination of these two type.

23. It was already clear to me that mixing typefaces isn’t easy. What I also got from this article that confirmed it for me was that a lot of attention is required. By creating a flyer or a movie poster, in order for me to mix two different typefaces, both Typefaces need to be similar to each other. One common typeface i love to use is San Serif and Slab Serif

24. Before reading these articles, there was a lot I didn’t know about typefaces and the effect they have on a design. As I understand it spoke about how typefaces have different personalities and can change the message of your design, can simple changes to font change that much of your overall piece? I found out that it is very much the case, that differences in type families, weights, hierarchy, and classes of type all should be taken account whenver you begin a project. This article helped me understand more of the thought process of choosing different types of typefaces for my designs.