Thursday Class/ Blog#4 / Hierarchy

Some simple rules in creating hierarchy

https://www.canva.com/learn/typeface-fonts/

Leave your comments below

16 responses to “Thursday Class/ Blog#4 / Hierarchy”

1. I agree with the article that there should be various levels of hierarchy within typography, but I do not necessarily agree it has the be three every time. I think in situations where it calls for three levels it is appropriate, but I think overall hierarchy is important to differentiate the levels of importance in the text, but it does not need to have a certain number of times used in order to be successful, rather it just needs to convey the message appropriately. Before taking typography I would have never thought about the structure of hierarchy in fonts and words, but I now understand how it is crucial in not only art, but also in order to appeal to consumers.

2. Visual hierarchy is about organizing information to guide the viewer along the text. I think most of the elements that help with creating a visual hierarchy come naturally to everyone to a certain extent. For example, I think it’s natural for most people to adjust font sizes according to the level of information they want to show, such as increasing the font size of a title to make it more obvious. Also, changing the color of a text is a common act people do for emphasis. Yet, I think the part that is a little tricky is determining the typefaces and the spacing. Contrasting typefaces is a key to combining fonts and for creating a visual hierarchy, which can be a bit overwhelming because of a wide variety of typefaces. Since there are so many, choosing only a few good typefaces that agree with the style and context of the design becomes difficult. Also, spacing is another tricky thing to consider when creating a hierarchy. The text shouldn’t be so close together (limited white space) that it becomes harder to read; yet, it also shouldn’t be too far apart (proximity) that the viewer can’t determine if the text is connected. Although I think the spacing may be difficult, the balance is also a very important element to creating a nicely flowing visual hierarchy.

3. What I’ve learned from this article is that hierarchy can be achieved from adjusting font sizes, typefaces, styles & weights, color, spacing/proximity, and orientation. Adjusting the font sizes of the three levels help the reader move along the design more easily knowing which parts are more important than the other. Contrasting typefaces can make the design more interesting but shouldn’t be done in excess. Heavier weights in fonts can make it seem more important than thinner weights. Using color such as red on important information such as prices can help the reader/viewer see it from a distance and know what’s the most important information being portrayed. Spacing/proximity can allow the reader/viewer to know what pieces of information go together and which doesn’t. Good spacing also encourages an easier read. Orientation may set a design apart from other designs to make it look different and more appealing.

4. Sum up the article, adjusting font sizes, using different typefaces, using various styles & weights, adding color, playing with spacing&proximity, and using orientation are the methods to create hierarchy. This article also have great hierarchy, so that I can sum up the points easily and clearly. The article use big and bold font the the title and subtitle. When mentioning the key points of how to create hierarchy, it use numbers before the text.

5. Font contrast has a visual level that can effectively convey key information and increase the volume of the screen to create a visual sense of richness. Such as size, color, thickness, structure and shape. Also, the font divides the visual level while distinguishing the content and correctly guides the viewer’s implementation to ensure the recognizability of the font message.

6. Setting up hierarchy correctly is extremely crucial. For instance if you’re writing an article or creating an advertisement you have to make sure you properly set up the title or the product you’re selling. This is where hierarchy kicks in. In the article it states various of ways/levels you can implement hierarchy onto your design. it also showed us how we can use colors and contrasting typefaces along with other helpful tips.

7. This article claim how to use visual hierarchy to improve design projects. I learned that important that the organizing and formatting the type choices in the way that reader can see what is most important. I think to leave the space between the headline with other words, so the spacing will enhancing readability and usability to the title, and let the reader easier to read. And even with the limited hierarchy the designer still need to think about how to help the reader easily scan to find the information that are looking for, like using color or bold type font.

8. Hierarchy can be achieved by the size and weight of text, the importance of placement, and things can even be emphasized by color and pairing a serif with a sans serif font. You don’t need to add all these elements into a resume, or invitation card, but combining certain elements together can help create a visually pleasing piece. It is hard to understand and grasp to try to learn the different combinations and techniques of hierarchy, but with patience and a keen eye, it can be done.

9. This article helps me get a clear visual understanding in hierarchy. bY ORGANIZING and implementing simple context that will catch the attention of the audience. It stays that by organizing the structure of the text in different font sizes gives us a sense of beginning and ending, also by changing the font for example to an italic could emphasize and important point in the text.

10. Typographic hierarchy is very important when designing something. It helps information stand out visually and it divided in 3 different levels. Level one, the most important information such as headline or title of the article, and it should be the biggest size or biggest text that help audience draw attention to. Level two, the second important information. The size of the text will be smaller than level one. This information in this level should help the reader navigate through the text or a chunk of information easier. Level three, the text size will be somewhat smaller than those two levels, such as a body paragraph or a description. In this article, they also provide us tips to how to create typographic hierarchy and visually organize the design of our works. I never thought of typographic hierarchy before whenever I created something and when I looked back I have a lot of things in my design that need to be improve. It’s a really helpful tips and informations for all designers as well as non designer.

11. Hierarchy is essential is typography to differentiate the importance of the text. It is also a way to organize and guide the viewer along the text. Choosing a typeface and spacing them is a bit tough when you’re trying to create a visual hierarchy because you want to grab the viewers attention and not only that. There are millions of typefaces to choose from, which is difficult to choose just one that you find appealing. What I learned from this article is that the importance of formatting the layout and organizing the typeface in Hierarchy is a way the viewer can see how important that text is.

12. Hierarchy plays a very crucial part in differentiating the importance of the text. It guides your eyes throughout the page. This article express the importance of choosing a typeface suitable for the occasion, and suitable for the viewers. You have to be able to organize the the text properly as to not lose the viewer in the reading. For example, the spacing of the words or letters may throw the viewer off.

13. This article showed some really beautiful examples of typography. I found it interesting that even as I was reading the article if I found a particular design especially eloquent I enjoyed spending a longer time reading every line and appreciating the design. If the design was boring I didn’t spend any time on it longer than needed. As designers not only is our job to deliver some piece of information to people but you want to connect with them on an emotional level as well by providing the service of aesthetic pleasure which is felt in good design. I believe that (much like Errol Morris’ experiment with Baskerville) when your design is that careful with it’s message you will be led to placing greater trust in the piece of information or advertising you are taking in as well.

14. This article showed me how I can combine to two different typefaces and make a beautiful piece of work. To do so, I must take into consideration the qualities of each typeface that I chose to use, I must make sure that one does not over power the other, or that they have similar qualities that make seem the same.

15. The article brings up many valid points about how to organize content. for example how white space is used to separate things visually but proximity is used to draw connections between similar items, or how the orientation of text is often effective in making thins stand out. One thing that I would say, however, is that is possible to know and study these techniques and create mediocre designs simply due to lack of experience. There’s a difference between knowing what something is and how to do it, personally I just started using orientation for hierarchy and I firmly agree that it is effective.

16. This article shows that choosing the appropriate typeface for the right moment especially for the viewers. Hierarchy is essential when displaying the text. It basically guides your eyes through the page. You have to organize the text correctly in order to keep the viewer interested. The spacing of the letters or words can throw off the reader in which Kerning and tracking comes into play